And now I’m a thief too! ;)
A book related meme that I stole from Elizabeth over at Falling From Prams. How could I resist? :)
1. Favourite childhood book?
Oh, Lord! I read so much as a kid. I mean at one point we lived behind a library! I was there every day!! I don’t think I could pick a single book, but my favorite author was Dick King Smith of Babe the Sheep Pig fame. I mean come on! There was a scene in The Fox-busters when the chickens dive bombed the foxes with eggs! Little me was enthralled!
2. What are you reading right now?
It by Stephen King. I’m listening to the audiobook. Pennywise is a jerk!
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None. I haven’t had time to go to a library in a long time.
4. Bad book habit?
Skimming when things are getting exciting. I have to go back and reread something I missed more often than not.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Nothing. See #3.
6. Do you have an e-reader?
Yep, I got a Kindle for my birthday! :D
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I’m usually “reading” at least three at a time. One audiobook for my commute and when I’m doing housework and stuff, one ebook and one real book.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
No. I don’t see why they would have.
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
That’s a hard one. I don’t think I’ve read anything I didn’t like so far.
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Bone by Jeff Smith. I’m trying to read more graphic novels this year.
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
More now than I used to. I’m trying out some horror, romance (fantasy based) and reading more graphic novels.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Science fiction and fantasy are my go to genres. The longer, the better! :)
13. Can you read on the bus?
I would if we had a bus system.
14. Favorite place to read?
lying on my bed
15. What is your policy on book lending?
There’s really only one person I lend books to and that’s not often. If I “lend” a book anymore I usually just give it to them. I know I probably wouldn’t see it again anyway.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
18. Not even with text books?
Not really. I am more apt to make notes in a notebook with page # references.
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English. I’m not fluent enough in Spanish to read it and that’s the only language I have more than a smattering of knowledge of.
20. What makes you love a book?
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
I’ve been burned by giving recommendations too much to count so I’m a bit leery. I might consider it if I know the person liked a similar book. Most of the people I know don’t really read, though. :-/
22. Favorite genre?
Sci fi and fantasy. I can’t pick between the two.
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Non fiction. I usually enjoy it when I read it, but I don’t think about picking them up.
24. Favorite biography?
I don’t think I’ve really ever read a true biography. Maus (graphic novel) by Art Spiegelman is my favorite biographical-ish story, though it probably doesn’t count.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Not that I can recall.
26. Favorite cookbook?
I don’t really have any. I get most of my recipes from the internet. :)
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The year is young and I haven’t read anything inspirational. Plus, I don’t read many inspirational stories to begin with… I probably should. I might be less cynical.
28. Favorite reading snack?
When I read, I’m dead to the world… No snacking here.
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
The only thing I can think of is The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I’m not sure if the hype ruined it, or if it was just a bad book!
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don’t really pay any attention of what’s going on in the world of literary criticism so, I really don’t know!
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
It depends on why I didn’t like the book. If the fault lies with bad writing, then I’ll give it a bad review. If it’s just me being picky, then no.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Probably Japanese, but not for books, I think. I play a lot of games and I think it would be cool to be able to play the original, untranslated versions.
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brian. Anything having to do with war affects me too deeply for words and I knew this book would be painful. I still loved it.
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Anything by Tolstoy. He’s one of “those” authors that you’re “supposed” to read and I don’t know why, but that kind of terrifies me.
35. Favorite Poet?
Wilfred Owen. His stark imagery of war really gets to me.
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Back in the day? As many as I could carry.
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
38. Favorite fictional character?
Ever? Are you freaking kidding me? How can you pick? I don’t think I could even pick my favorite from any one series… And I’ll just assume you mean in a book. If not, that’s a whole other can of worms.
39. Favorite fictional villain?
Same as above. It would take far too much effort to sort through all of the villains that I’ve liked. :-/
40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Whatever I happen to be reading at the time. It always varies.
41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
A month or two right after a reading binge.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
I couldn’t finish David Copperfield. I tried reading it when I was a teenager and I got halfway before my brain just turned to mush and I went cross-eyed.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
It depends. If it’s a really engrossing book, it’s like the real world doesn’t exist. My vision narrows, my ears shut down and I am in the book. If not, my husband, the cats and even just random noises are distracting.
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Usually when they adapt a book that I love, I hate the movie and then there are the movies that I see first and then read the book… So, I really don’t know. I liked LotR, but I had soooo many nitpicks!
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
I agree with Elizabeth, The Golden Compass was pretty awful! Oh and Percy Jackson!! Blech!!
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
$80+ not including textbooks. Let’s just not think about that, shall we?
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Not very often. I’m pretty capricious when it comes to picking books. I do sometimes pick a book by its cover! :)
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
I would have to be REALLY bad. I have a hard time not finishing books.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Used to be alphabetized. Now I don’t have enough shelf space so they’re loosely arranged by genre in stacks and layers on the same shelves. Plus, the “need to read” shelf.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I usually keep them. Like I said, I don’t know enough readers to give them away.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Can’t think of any.
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Almost anything by Stephen King or George R R Martin. They treat their characters so roughly, it gets me upset sometimes. I don’t handle the brutalization of beloved characters very well, but then that’s what makes them so dramatic and appealing.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
The Harry Potter series. I dragged my feet about reading it, but finally caved when Aaron started reading and liked it. I picked it up on a whim and I was hooked.
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
The Windup Girl by Paulo Bacigalupi. The premise sounded so interesting, but I wasn’t impressed. Same thing with The Passage by Justin Cronin. It turned out being boring.
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
All of it! I love to read, so it’s all good! :D